Two days prior to my departure I loaded the Outfitter Caribou Lite onto the Tundra. Once the camper was loaded I moving needed supplies out of the Roamin Chariot (RC). Things moved included: porta potti, pots and pans and utensils, blankets and sleeping bag, Lynx Levelers, towels, and other odds and ends. The items moved left the RC looking a bit bare.
One day prior to departure the day was very warm hitting the low 60s. This was very nice as I loaded up the back seat of the Toyota Tundra with all the items needed for attending the Strictly Sail Miami boat show. Checking my packing list twice I was glad I got everything to fit.
On the way home I stopped at the grocery store to purchase food for the first couple of days on the road. Once foodstuffs were stored I then loaded up the camper with the final personal items, excluding the cat’s things, my duffel bag of clothes, and my bathroom kit.
The fine weather wasn’t to last. The 4 February forecast was for snow and cold temperatures to arrive the night of 3 Feb. Snow wasn’t forecast to begin falling until the mid-morning. Weather in unpredictable … when I woke up Wednesday morning there was 2-3 inches of snow on the ground and it was snowing heavily.
I loaded the final items into the camper and truck and headed for the shop. I found the roads to be VERY slick. The warm temperatures of the day before meant the snow had immediately melted as it fell. This resulted in a nice layer of ice forming under the 3″ of snow. Slipping and sliding to work I didn’t like the prospect of towing a boat with the roads in this condition. Getting to work I hooked the boat to the truck and then checked the weather details. The temperatures were forecast to rise into the low 40s and the snow to taper off by late morning. I decided to wait a few hours before departing.
By 11am the snow had stopped falling and the roads were quickly melting clear, even by the shop where the snow plows had not visited. Time to hit the road!
The main roads and Interstate were all wet; but no ice or slush was present. A good choice to wait a few hours before departing. Heading east out of Denver on Interstate 70 the sun started to show itself and the Interstate was mostly dry 50 miles out of the city.